2012 NHL Playoffs: Rangers Drop Game Six 2-1; Off To Game 7...Again

WASHINGTON, DC - MAY 09: Alex Ovechkin #8 of the Washington Capitals scores a goal against Henrik Lundqvist #30 of the New York Rangers as Marcus Johansson #90 and Dan Girardi #5 battle in front of the net in Game Six of the Eastern Conference Semifinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Verizon Center on May 9, 2012 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Patrick McDermott/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers had the perfect opportunity to close out the series against the Capitals tonight, but were unable to get the job done. Braden Hotlby had a solid game in between the pipes for the Capitals tonight, and he was able to shut down the Rangers for 59 minutes.

Things didn't start to hot for the Rangers, as Anton Stralman took an early penalty, and he dragged down Jason Chimera. On the ensuing power play, Alex Ovechkin blasted home a slap shot from the slot, and the Caps came away with an early 1-0 lead. The Rangers were able to get some life following the Ovechkin goal, as they would have two power play opportunities.

Unfortunately, the Rangers weren't able to get anything going on the power plays, and they would go into the intermission down by one. About halfway through the second period, the Capitals were able to get an insurance goal from Jason Chimera.

Follow after the jump for more.

On the goal, Stu Bickel was the lead man going into the corner, and he suddenly hit the breaks. As a result, John Carlson was able to get the space, in order to get a shot to the net. The puck took a bank off of Nicklas Backstrom's skate, and fell right into the crease for Chimera to tap in.

Despite the Rangers putting up more shots through two periods, they still found themselves down by two, heading into the third period. The Rangers had an early power play as Mike Green lofted the puck over the glass, in the defensive end. Once again, the Rangers weren't able to get anything going, and the power play went unanswered for the fourth time tonight.

Nearing the end of regulation, Lundqvist made a break towards the bench to get the extra attacker on the rink. The Rangers had a tough time getting into the Capitals zone, but once they did, they finally got on the board. Marian Gaborik ripped a shot on net, that would wind up going off of the back of John Carlson, and deflected behind Branden Holtby.

The Rangers couldn't get anything in the final 50 seconds, and the Capitals would wind up taking the game 2-1. So, once again, we're off to another game seven, which will take place on Saturday night, at Madison Square Garden.

Believe.