2012 Free Agency: Mats Zuccarello Makes KHL Deal Official

NEW YORK NY - JANUARY 05: Mats Zuccarello #36 of the New York Rangers salutes the fans following his game winning overtime goal against the Carolina Hurricanes at Madison Square Garden on January 5 2011 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

After bidding New York Ranger fans farewell earlier today via Twitter, Mats Zuccarello is officially heading to the Kontinental Hockey League. According to ESPN New York, Zuccarello signed a one-year deal with the KHL's Mettalurg Magnitogorsk. The deal includes a one-year option for the 2013-2014 KHL season, and an NHL "out" clause, which gives Zuccarello the option of returning to the Rangers as a restricted free agent.

On breakup day for the Rangers, Zuccarello expressed his displeasure for this past season, and that his limited playing time was "not enough". Zuccarello appeared in 52 career games with the Rangers, where he had eight goals, 18 assists, for a total of 26 points.

While Zuccarello didn't have a great run at the NHL level, there is still belief that he intends to make a return at some point in the future. Whether it is with the Rangers or another team, is yet to be seen.