FanPost

Lunqvist vs. Brodeur vs. Roy - first 7 NHL seasons compared

I know a lot of the media like to claim that Brodeur is one of the greatest, if not the greatest, NHL goalie of all time. The remaining bunch say that Roy is the greatest of all time. However, being that the Rangers have King Henrik who has put up pretty stellar numbers in his first 7 seasons of his career, I decided to bit of a comparison of their career stats through 7 NHL seasons.

Before true hockey fans start saying you can't compare these stats, keep in mind I do know the NHL has had significant changes throughout the years -- from the way the players are conditioned and the new rules (SO, no 2 line pass, etc.) improving offensive stats to improved technology and goalie pad rules improving goalie stats and shot blocking.

See my analysis after the jump....

Here are the stat lines I used:

Brodeur: 1993-94 season to 1999-00 season

Roy: 1987-88 season to 1993-94 season (I skipped Roy's first 2 NHL season to be able to have more of a streamlined stat line as he was only playing 40-42 games vs. Brodeur and Lundqvist at the time)

Lundqvist: 2005-06 season to 2011-12 season

Player GP W L T Min GA SO GAA SV %
Brodeur 443 242 124 65 25,759 940 42 2.21 91.26%
Lundqvist 468 252 155 54 27,641 1,046 43 2.27 92.01%
Roy 392 214 112 50 22,728 1,008 25 2.67 90.74%

So as you can see King Henrik in his first 7 seasons matches up pretty well with 2 of the best goalies in NHL history in their early part of their career. Given they have different backgrounds, in that Henrik was somewhat seasoned in professional hockey playing in the SEL...however a better average SV% and almost equally strong GAA in more games should speak volumes for his ability.

In my biased opinion...I think by the end of his career, as long as he keeps up his incredible play (2011-12 was his best stats so far), Henrik Lundqvist will be in the discussion for one of the greatest goalies to ever play in the NHL. Do you guys agree?