FanPost

2012 Draft, Second Round Pick, Take a look at Zach Stepan

As most of you probably know already, Derek Stepan's cousin is in this years draft. While I am not saying lets jump and get him right away because they are related, why don't we at least consider him since they used to play hockey together, Zach is 3 years younger than Derek. Zach also went to Shattuck St. Marys as well.

"Derek has more of the finesse than I do, but we're similar in playmaking skills and the way we think the game in finding open guys on the ice. But I can shoot the puck better and I'm grittier."
-- Zachary Stepan on his cousin, Rangers' forward Derek Stepan

Here is a video interview of Zach at the 2012 NHL Draft Scouting Combine.

http://www.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/hf005/73/506567/

Zach is 6'0" 166 lbs plays Center and Shoots Left, was born January 6th, 1994.

Here is a little bio on Zach:

2011-12: Stepan competed for Shattuck-St. Mary's in the Upper Midwest High School Elite League in the fall and skated in 50 games for Shattuck in his senior season. The Sabres won the U18 Tier 1 National Championship for the second straight season. Stepan scored 7 goals with 13 assists and had 6 penalty minutes in 15 games during the Elite League season. During the regular season he scored 22 goals with 43 assists and had 20 penalty minutes. Shattuck defeated the LA Junior Kings, 2-1, in the national championship game to finish 50-5-2. Stepan was invited to the NHL Draft Combine and ranked 53rd amongst North American skaters in Central Scouting's final rankings prior to the 2012 NHL Draft.

--Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/zach_stepan/

Here is some Talent Analysis, although I don't really trust hockeysfutures.com analysis anymore that much:

The cousin of the New York Rangers' Derek Stepan, Zach has both the speed and strength to compete at the next level, despite his small size. He has terrific control of his body and is able to create space very well. His vision and awareness on the ice is above average, as well. As with any small player, his size may be a concern, but he certainly plays larger than he looks.

--Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/zach_stepan/

So what do you guys think about potentially drafting Zach in the second Round, my choices for first round pick goes to Nicolas Kerdiles or Phil Di Giuseppe, you can read about them in my previous fan post .(http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2012/6/2/3059776/2012-nhl-draft-north-american-skater-forward-edition)