NHL Trade Rumors: Why The New York Rangers Need To Pursue Bobby Ryan

NASHVILLE, TN - MARCH 24: Bobby Ryan #9 and Ryan Getzlaf #15 of the Anaheim Ducks congratulate teammate Corey Perry #10 after scoring a goal against the Nashville Predators on March 24, 2011 at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Frederick Breedon/Getty Images)

As you probably know, Bobby Ryan has hit the open market again after spending a chunk of time there earlier this season. The New York Rangers, who were linked to Ryan back then, will probably once again be linked to the 25-year-old Anaheim Ducks sniper.

This news most likely becomes a massive blow to Scott Howson and the Columbus Blue Jackets, since Ryan is almost certianly a more attractive asset than Rick Nash -- and probably cheaper as well. For the Rangers, however, this is nothing but good news. Now Glen Sather can put Nash in the rear view mirror and focus on acquiring a younger, cheaper sniper with a significantly smaller cap hit.

Ryan is a four-time 30-goal scorer, and brings the much-needed offense the Rangers lacked in the playoffs with an injured Marian Gaborik.

Would Ryan be a good fit in New York?

Join me after the jump to find out.

In his 332 NHL regular season games, Ryan has scored 136 goals. That means Ryan scores just a hair under .41 goals a game. Just to clarify that's better than Zach Parise (.38 goals a game) and just below Nash (.42 goals a game). To put this into perspective from the Rangers' side, Gaborik scores just under .45 goals a game.

The other bonus? Ryan is three years younger than both Parise and Nash, meaning the Rangers would get significantly more prime out of Ryan then the other two. His age, for the record, is why I wouldn't be so upset to lose a guy like Michael Del Zotto (who would be an upgrade over Cam Fowler), Christian Thomas or Brandon Dubinsky for him (note: I'm not saying that's all it will take to get him). He's a young talent in this league with a favorable contract.

That doesn't come around often.

And, so long as Scott Howson continues to make irrational demads for Nash, the Rangers should focus on Ryan. I know a ton of people are speculating that the Rangers want Nash more than Ryan, but I can't imagine that's true. The Rangers attempted trade for Nash at the trade deadline (which sparked this ideology that the Rangers are higher on Nash) was more Glen Sather looking to lock up some offensive talent for the playoffs in a remarkably thin trade pool then him actually being interested in Nash. There's mutual interest I'm sure, but it shouldn't be enough to pull the Rangers away from Ryan.

Like I mentioned in my prospects post a couple of days ago, I'm not willing to move some of the younger players on this team unless I'm getting youth back. Ryan would accomplish that.

Thoughts?