2012 NHL Entry Draft: Columbus Blue Jackets Select Ryan Murray With Second Overall Pick

EDMONTON, CANADA - DECEMBER 31: Ryan Murray #27 of Team Canada body checks Jason Zucker #16 of Team USA of Team USA during the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship game at Rexall Place on December 31, 2011 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

With the second overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, the Columbus Blue Jackets selected defenseman Ryan Murray, from the Everett Silvertips. The Blue Jackets have been on the hunt for some NHL-ready defensemen, and they get just this with Ryan Murray.

Murray was ranked No. 2 among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting, and No. 2 overall by TSN, and was the top-ranked defenseman on both rankings. Murray, much like fellow top prospect Nail Yakupov, had an injury shortened season, but still performed well, leading all Everett blueliners with 31 points (9 goals, 22 assists) in 46 games. He also represented Canada in the 2012 World Junior Championships and put up two points in five games. He was one of only two players eligible for the 2012 draft to play for Canada's junior team.

Murray has a tremendous upside, and can definitely help out this Columbus franchise out of their slump.

The Anaheim Ducks have also traded defenseman, Lubomir Visnovsky to the New York Islanders in exchange for their 2012 second round draft pick.