2012 NHL Entry Draft: Recapping The Top 15 Picks Of The 1st Round

June 21, 2012; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; NHL top draft prospects (from left) Griffin Reinhart and Alex Galchenyuk and Ryan Murray and Mikhail Grigorenko and Nail Yakupov and Filip Forsberg and Jacob Trouba join Pittsburgh Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister (center in black) for a photo before the game against the Minnesota Twins at PNC Park. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-US PRESSWIRE

Halfway through the Draft, so let's recap the top 15 picks shall we?

1. Edmonton Oilers: Nail Yakupov (RW)

2. Columbus Blue Jackets: Ryan Murray (D)

3. Montreal Canadiens: Alex Galchenyuk (C)

4. New York Islanders: Griffin Reinhart (D)

5. Toronto Maple Leafs: Morgan Reilly (D)

6. Anaheim Ducks: Hampus Lindholm (D)

7. Minnesota Wild: Matthew Dumba (D)

8. Pittsburgh Penguins (Via CAR): Derrick Pouliot (D)

9. Winnipeg Jets: Jacob Trouba (D)

10. Tampa Bay Lightning: Slater Koekkoek (D)

11. Washington Capitals (via COL): Filip Forsberg (RW)

12. Buffalo Sabres: Mikhail Grigorenko (C)

13. Dallas Stars: Radek Faksa (C)

14. Buffalo Sabres (via CAL): Zemgus Girgensons (C)

15. Ottawa Senators: Cody Ceci (D)

After the jump a few thoughts on the first half of the first round

  • 8, EIGHT, straight Defensemen taken in the top 15
  • The Pittsburgh Penguins traded Jordan Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes for Brendan Sutter, Brian Dumolen, and the #8 overall pick which turned into Derrick Pouliot
  • Top rated forwards Filip Forsberg and Mikhail Grigorenko both fell to the 11th and 12th picks in the Draft
  • With all of those defensemen falling, there are a lot of options for the Rangers and the second half of the first round

Use this as your second half open thread