2012 NHL Entry Draft: Analyzing The New York Rangers Selection Of Brady Skjei

PITTSBURGH, PA - JUNE 22: Brady Skjei, 28th overall pick by the New York Rangers, poses with Rangers representatives on stage during Round One of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft at Consol Energy Center on June 22, 2012 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers surprised fans again this year, this time selecting defenseman Brady Skjei with the 28th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. The pick isn't surprising because of who the Rangers selected -- Skjei was ranked in the mid-20's in most mock drafts -- but the position they selected.

The Rangers went with defense.

Skjei is pegged to be a solid two-way defenseman with potentially elite skating skills (but certianly great skating skills) and some offensive upside. The offensive part of his game isn't something that drew scouts to his game, but his frame, skating ability and mobility were. If his offensive game rounds out (which it could) then it makes him that much of a better pick.

As it stands now, the Rangers got a solid two-way defenseman to add to the plethora of defensive prospects in their farm system. Skjei impressed the Rangers scouts enough to take him in the first round, which is enough for me. Gordie Clark and crew love picks like this (hard working, character players with upside) and they made another one Friday night.

Skjei becomes yet another solid defenseman to the Rangers' system (already stocked with Dylan McIlrath and Tim Erixon -- although Erixon is probably leaving the farm this season to join the big club) and since he figures to be around three years away, he will be coming into the NHL right when the Rangers might have a few defensive questions on their hands.

Anyway, what do you guys think of the pick? I think it was a pretty good move by Clark and Glen Sather (especially since offense will be in there in the second and third round).