2012 NHL Entry Draft: New York Rangers Select Cristoval Nieves 59th Overall

PITTSBURGH, PA - JUNE 23: Cristoval Nieves, 59th overall pick by the New York Rangers, talks during day two of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft at Consol Energy Center on June 23, 2012 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

With the 59th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft the New York Rangers selected Center, Cristoval "Boo" Nieves. Nieves was ranked among the top 27 North American skaters, and could definitely help out the Rangers in the near future, with his skating abilities and big frame.

According to Corey Pronman, Nieves is considered "High-end if not an elite skater with great puck skills." There were some scouts that even considered him the smoothest and faster skater among all players in the draft. Combined with his elite skating package, he also has great vision, which goes hand-in-hand with his playmaking abilities.

Starting next year, Nieves is committed to attending the University of Michigan where he will begin his journey to the National Hockey League. Just like their first round pick, Brady Skjei, the Rangers are going with a lot of elite skaters in the draft, much like that of current Ranger, Chris Kreider.

Update: The New York Rangers have traded their 3rd-round pick (89th overall) to the Nashville Predators, in exchance for their 2013 3rd-round pick. Rangers have one more pick remaining in the 4th-round (119 overall).