NHL Rumors: New York Rangers, Martin Biron Agree To Two-Year $2.6-Million Deal

TORONTO - JANUARY 14: Martin Biron #43 and Henrik Lundqvist #30 of the New York Rangers celebrate Martin Biron shutout against the Toronto Maple Leafs during NHL action at the Air Canada Centre January 14, 2012 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers have re-signed Martin Biron, with both sides agreeing to a two-year contract averaging $1.3-million a year. Biron, who was a serviceable backup last year who not only earned John Tortorella's trust but also spelled Henrik Lundqvist for 20 starts, returns after telling the media he was happy with his role and time in New York.

This is a win-win for both sides. The Rangers get a quality backup goaltender who can give Lundqvist the rest he needs during the season while also giving the Rangers valuable wins. We've documented how Biron goes out of his way to make sure that he keeps Lundqvist in his routine, something which will continue as time goes on.

And since the free agent market was so sparse (and to be honest, Biron is the best of the group by a mile) this is a big move for the Rangers.

Thoughts on this move guys?