FanPost

Argument against signing Ryan Suter

I know everyone is drooling over Ryan Suter, but I am here to play devil's advocate.

With other teams flush with cash and needing a defenseman, he will probably command at least $7m a year with a minimum of seven years.

Here are his career stats

Arguments AGAINST signing him:

  1. He has only scored more than ten goals once...and that was when he was sixteen.
  2. The most goals he has scored in a season in the NHL is EIGHT.
  3. He did average almost 26 minutes a game last season, but the Rangers already have three defensemen that can probably play 25+ minutes a night: Girardi, McD and Staal.
  4. He will not make the PP any better. We all know that Weber is the reason why Nashville's PP is very good.

I'm sure he is great "shut down" defenseman, but how many of those do you really need?

In my opinion, the Rangers just need to let the current roster of defensemen (except for Bickel and Eminger...if both are any good, they would still be playing for the Ducks) develop and mature.

They need to see if Erixon and maybe even McIlrath can make the team and stick next season.

They will need to manage the cap space wisely to that they can re-sign all of their own players. If the Rangers pay Suter $7m, how much will Girardi and McD get? Don't forget the contracts for Lundqvist's, Callahan's and others contract are almost up as well. The Rangers do not want to be in salary cap hell just like what happened to the Knicks.

With regards to Sauer, at least the Rangers came clean about his situation. They did not report Staal's concussion until just before training camp opened and it seems like Staal is back to normal now. Let's keep an eye on Sauer and hopefully he will recover sometime next season.