2012 Free Agency: Justin Schultz Is Not Coming To New York

DETROIT - APRIL 08: Cameron Burt #18 of the RIT Tigers tries to get around Justin Schultz #6 of the Wisconsin Badgers on April 8, 2010 during the semifinals of the 2010 NCAA Frozen Four at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan. Wisconsin defeated RIT 8-1. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)

After an eventful morning which had Ranger nation in an uproar, Justin Schultz has informed the New York Rangers that they are out of the running for his services. The Rangers weren't the only team informed, as the Toronto Maple Leafs were also said to be out of the running as well. It likely comes down to both the Vancouver Canucks, and the Edmonton Oilers who were said to be favorites from the start.

With the Rangers losing out, there is no love lost. If they got Schultz it would have been a huge addition, but in the end, the Rangers lost absolutely nothing trying to acquire Schultz. The Rangers also have a promising young defenseman by the name of Tim Erixon, who will likely make the jump to the big league next season.

So with the Schultz watch officially over for the Rangers, they can shift their focus to free agency, in time for tomorrow afternoon's festivities. The Rangers are expected to be fairly aggressive when it comes this time tomorrow, so expect some moves to be made.