FanPost

A new NYT piece on Boogaard's addiction while with Wild & Rangers

Haven't posted one of these before & not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but I just finished up reading a moving piece from Len Boogaard, the father of Derek, on Derek's struggle with addiction all while trying to play hockey. I thought it was best to just post the link instead of copy & pasting it since I'm not too familiar with formatting stuff on here. Interesting points on how the Wild & Rangers dealt with it & how Sather dealt with wanting the truth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/04/sports/hockey/in-hockey-enforcers-descent-a-flood-of-prescription-drugs.html?pagewanted=all

Among the findings:

¶ In a six-month stretch from October 2008 to April 2009, while playing 51 games, Boogaard received at least 25 prescriptions for the painkillers hydrocodone or oxycodone, a total of 622 pills, from 10 doctors — eight team doctors of the Wild, an oral surgeon in Minneapolis and a doctor for another N.H.L. team.

¶ In the fall of 2010, an official for the Rangers, Boogaard’s new team, was notified of Boogaard’s recurring abuse of narcotic pain pills. Nonetheless, a Rangers team dentist soon wrote the first of five prescriptions for hydrocodone for Boogaard after he sustained an injury.

¶ Another Rangers doctor, although aware that Boogaard also had been addicted to sleeping pills in the past, wrote nearly 10 prescriptions for Ambien during Boogaard’s lone season with the team.