New York Rangers Injury Update: Brandon Prust Underwent Surgery Today

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 12: Brandon Prust #8 of the New York Rangers fights with Zenon Konopka #28 of the Ottawa Senators at Madison Square Garden on January 12, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

According to Steve Zipay of Newsday, pending unrestricted free agent Brandon Prust underwent surgery to repair a torn tendon in his right ring finger earlier today. Prust injured his finger in a fight against Zenon Konopka of the Ottawa Senators on January 12th, 2012. The injury was first revealed during the Rangers breakup day, after being eliminated from the 2012 Eastern Conference Finals by the New Jersey Devils.

As shown in the video, following the fight with Konopka, Prust skates over to the Rangers bench where he was checked out by medical trainer Jim Ramsey. Shortly after, Prust skates off to the Rangers locker room. Prust had eight more fights during the regular season, after his injury, and fought once in the playoffs in a tilt with Chris Neil.

Prust is expected to make a fully recovery from his surgery, and will hopefully start up contract talks with the New York Rangers. The video of the fight where Prust was injured will be available after the jump.