2012 Free Agency: New York Rangers And Martin Biron Closing In On New Deal

April 5, 2012; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; New York Rangers goalie Martin Biron (43) clears the puck from the goal crease against the Pittsburgh Penguins during the first period at the CONSOL Energy Center. The Pittsburgh Penguins won 5-2. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-US PRESSWIRE

According to Katie Strang of ESPN New York, the New York Rangers and Martin Biron are closing in on a new deal, that would keep the back-up goaltender on Broadway for the next few seasons. Strang mentions that Biron is seeking a multi-year contract, and that he is competent with his back-up role behind Henrik Lundqvist.

Throughout the 2011-2012 season, Biron and Lundqvist were look upon and as the best one-two punch in the National Hockey League. Biron put up impressive numbers for a back-up goaltender, posting a 12-6-2 record, in addition to a .904 save percentage, and a 2.46 goals against average.

While Biron did hit a few bumps in the road during last season, he still has the ability to handle a heavy workload without missing a beat. With Biron getting at least 20 starts a season, it allows Lundqvist to get some much needed rest, in order to be ready for a deep postseason run. Look for Biron to be back in Ranger blue for the next couple of seasons to come.