2012 Free Agency: New York Rangers Sign Stu Bickel To Two-Year Deal

NEWARK, NJ - MAY 21: Referee Dan O'Rourke #9 tries to separate Stu Bickel #41 of the New York Rangers and Ryan Carter #20 of the New Jersey Devils in Game Four of the Eastern Conference Final during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at the Prudential Center on May 21, 2012 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Shortly after John Mitchell went off to Colorado, the New York Rangers have announced they have re-signed defenseman, Stu Bickel to a two-year deal. The deal will pay Bickel a total of $1.5 million over two seasons, which comes out to $750,000 per year.

For the Rangers, this is a perfect deal for a depth defenseman, who was often in John Tortorella's doghouse during the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Bickel adds some added toughness on the back-end with the absence of Michael Sauer likely expected for next season as well.

The Rangers were in the hunt for some bottom-pairing defensemen, and with Bickel back in the mix, expect him to get a roster spot next season. The Rangers are still in the mix for some third/fourth line forwards, and I expect them to make some noise today as free agency carries on.

Stay tuned here at Blueshirt Banter as we continue to update throughout the day with all of your Ranger and NHL news.