2012 Free Agency: New York Rangers Sign Aaron Asham To Two-Year Deal

PITTSBURGH, PA - NOVEMBER 11: Goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury #29 of the Pittsburgh Penguins keeps his eyes on the puck as Krystofer Barch #13 of the Dallas Stars attempts to gather control of the puck and Aaron Asham #45 of the Pittsburgh Penguins defends in the first period on November 11, 2011 at CONSOL Energy Center in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers announced that they have signed tough-guy forward, Aaron Asham, to a two-year deal. Asham will make a total of $2 million over the next two seasons, which will pay him a total of $1 million per year. WIth Asham now in the fold, you can expect that Brandon Prust is no longer in the Rangers plans.

Asham does have quite a reputation that he will bring him to New York, but in the end, it all comes down to money between him and Brandon Prust. Asham comes at a much cheaper price, and possesses the same skill set as Brandon Prust, who is likely demanding much more then a million dollars per.

As I stated in the Bickel article, the Rangers are likely seeking some bottom-six guys, and Asham fits that bill. Ranger fans may not like the signing due to Asham's past, but it saves them some cap space, and they were in need of a tough-guy with Prust testing the market.