2012 NHL Free Agency: Rangers Sign Newbury and Haley, Prust Goes To Montreal

NEWARK, NJ - SEPTEMBER 30: Michael Haley #18 of the New York Islanders skates in warmups prior to the game against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on September 30, 2011 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers announced that they have signed both Kris Newbury and Michael Haley to two-year deals. Both players received two-way deals, which will have them starting the year with the Connecticut Whale.

Brandon Prust has also signed with the Montreal Canadiens, which will see him making $2.5 million per year over four years. It was expected that Prust was looking for a long term deal in the range of $2 million, something that the Rangers weren't interested in giving Prust, especially for that price. As we stated earlier with Asham signing, that it likely meant the Rangers weren't interested in bringing back Prust.

The Rangers are still looking to bring in a scorer, which could either come via trade or by free agency. TSN stated earlier that the Rangers were still considered front runners for Nash, and have offered up various packages to Columbus.

*** Former Connecticut Whale goaltender, Chad Johnson has signed with the Phoenix Coyotes.