2012 Free Agency: New York Rangers Add Jeff Halpern On One-Year Deal

January 11, 2012; Washington, DC, USA; Washington Capitals center Jeff Halpern (15) passes the puck against the Pittsburgh Penguins at Verizon Center. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-US PRESSWIRE

The New York Rangers announced they have signed center, Jeff Halpern to a one-year deal, which will pay him a total of $700,000 during next season. The Rangers get away with another solid depth move at center with Halpern, where he will most likely slot into the bottom-six, due to Gaborik missing some time early on in the season.

Halpern appeared in 69 total games last season with the Washington Capitals, where he put up a total of four goals, and 12 assists, for a total 16 points. Halpern also saw limited time during the end of the season, and heading into the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. He is also nearing the end of his career as he approaches the age of 36, but for $700,000, this is a low-risk, with a potential high-reward type signing.

One thing to think about though is, that's yet another center the New York Rangers have on the team, which gives them an abundance of depth down the middle. It may lead one to believe that a deal may be in the works to ship one of them out. This is pure speculation, but the asking price for Bobby Ryan was a number two center, could the Rangers possibly deal off a center with ease now that Halpern is in the mix?

Only time will tell. For now, the Rangers got a great depth signing in Halpern.