2012 Free Agency: New York Rangers Sign Logan Pyett; Expected To Make Pitch For Shane Doan

DETROIT, MI - OCTOBER 2: Jordan Staal #11 of the Pittsburgh Penguins battles for a loose puck with Logan Pyett #32 of the Detroit Red Wings during their preseason NHL game at Joe Louis Arena October 2, 2011 in Detroit, Michigan. (Photo By Dave Sandford/Getty Images)

After signing veteran forward, Jeff Halpern to a one-year deal last night, the Rangers went out and signed Logan Pyett to a one-year, two-way contract worth $600,000. Pyett, 24, spent his last four seasons down in American Hockey League, with the Grand Rapids Griffins. This move is likely a depth move for the Connecticut Whale, so don't expect Pyett to be getting a shot with the big club just yet.

Griffins Central gave an entire run down about Pyett's positives, and negatives as a player, which can be found below:

Positives:

Okay skater with decent lateral movement and balance... Good, heavy shot... Offensively skilled but no flair... Makes the safe play... Good intensity and determination...

Negatives:

Undersized for position... He possesses no elite level skills... Defensively inconsistent... Needs to improve skating...

Follow after the jump for news on Shane Doan

With Shane Doan expected to make a decision soon, due to Phoenix's ownership status still being up in the air, the Rangers are expected to be make a pitch for his services. According to Larry Brooks, the Rangers are among many teams that are interested in Doan, and if he decides to test free agency, the Rangers will make a strong push to try and acquire the 35-year-old veteran.