FanPost

Alexander Semin & Ignoring the 10 Percent.

Everyone should read this article, from Angus certified. Hahasemin1_medium

via sickunbelievable.com

It is a very informative read about how overblown the (Canadian) media's perception of Semin's value on & off the ice is. I am a pretty staunch defender of Russian players as I feel like they get an underserved amount of negative attention from members of basically every hockey-community. The most recent xenophobic and despicable generalizations made by TSN's Marc Crawford & Pierre Mcgquire I feel are particularly indicative of how over the top this Semin backlash has become.

I know perception is that Semin can't even dream to be the player that ELITE POWER FORWARD ZOMG Rick Nash is, even though he has more or less outproduced Nash over the last 4 seasons (although Semin's points were not put up with the same amount of grit and Canadian-Good Guy Heart as Nash, so they don't count as much); but count me in the camp of simply throwing money (significantly less than the 6 years at 7.8 mil that Nash is due mind you) at Semin, rather than trading 2 or 3 current Rangers for Nash and hoping he puts up the elite numbers that people already give him credit for any way.