FanPost

Trading our talent for big names is a mistake

Am I the only one who doesnt want to see a blockbuster trade? Dubi - a top 4 2-way forward and PK man. Second best forward +/-, best faceoff percentage. This is the first season he didnt put up 40 points. He'll be back, and in the meantime hes a mistake-free 3rd liner. MDZ - lead d-men in goals and assists for the second straight year of full-time nhl work. Top 3 on team in +/-. Stepan - approached 20 goals, just short of last seasons 21, but still increased overall production by adding 34 assists, solidifying the notion that generally when someone scores on our team, they probably got a sick feed from stepan. 4th +/- out of forwards, better +/- than girardi. Hagelin - on pace for 17 goals and 50 points as a rookie. One of the fastest skaters in the league, constantly generating forecheck pressure by himself. Led team in SHG. Led forwards in +/-. We should never let him leave. Anisimov - probably the easiest to part with, without taking into account contracts. Occasionally he looks detached from the other players, but still approaches 20 and 20, plays the body well enough, and can finish chances. Unfortunately, anisimov wont be the major chip in any of the purported trades.

With that said, our team doesnt lack scoring ability, they lack scoring chances. Its our style of play, not our roster. You have to go to our 4th line before you find a guy that cant put up 20 goals. This team simply wont benefit from a major shuffling of names. They need minor changes to the team concept. They need to let one poor dubinsky campaign slide. They need to stand by MDZ through the next year or two before hes entirely polished. I sympathize with the idea that we need to make a push before lundqvist fades into his forties, I just dont think Rick Nash or Bobby Ryan are the keys to that push. I think they barely replace the production of the roster players we send out. We needed a power winger. Didnt we just strike oil with kreider? He could be rick nash's proxy next year. He could lead our team in scoring next year. Do we really want to scrap years of drafting and nurturing and developing to leverage another all-star who may take a year or two to acclimate himself to our program? This team just took you to the conference finals. Why do you assume that scrapping an entire line for one player makes us better and not worse?