2012 Offseason: Rangers Trade Casey Wellman To Florida For A Fifth-Round Pick

COLUMBUS OH - NOVEMBER 6: Casey Wellman #17 of the Minnesota Wild looks for a pass from a teammate during the first period against the Columbus Blue Jackets on November 6 2010 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus Ohio. (Photo by John Grieshop/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers announced they have traded center/right winger, Casey Wellman, to the Florida Panthers, in exchange for a 2014 fifth-round draft pick. Wellman was originally acquired last season, when the Rangers sent Erik Christensen to the Minnesota Wild.

Wellman was on fire with the Connecticut Whale during their 2012 Calder Cup run, and would have been a solid depth player for the Rangers, in the event of injuries. In nine post-season games with the Whale, Wellman was a point-per-game player, scoring four goals, and putting up an additional five assists. A lot of fans were high on Wellman, after his spectacular playoff run with the Whale, and I'm sure a lot of them will be disappointed by this trade.

Things have been heating up in Ranger land as of late, with the recent rumors coming out about Shea Weber, and Shane Doan. Be sure to check out our post on Shane Doan visiting with the New York Rangers today.