Blueshirt Banter Discussion: What Kind Of Contract Do You Expect If The New York Rangers Sign Shane Doan

BUFFALO, NY - NOVEMBER 19: Boyd Gordon #15 and Shane Doan #19 of the Phoenix Coyotes celebrate Doan's goal in the first period against the Buffalo Sabres at First Niagara Center on November 19, 2011 in Buffalo, New York. (Photo by Rick Stewart/Getty Images)

WIth news breaking that Shane Doan met with the New York Rangers Friday, it seems that the two sides have a pretty fair amount of mutual interest in one another. Doan, who would be a 35+ contract, is one of the few free agents left who can put the puck in the back of the net and provide the Rangers with some secondary scoring, so it was obvious he would be on the Rangers' radar.

What was unknown was if the Rangers were on his radar. And, obviously, they are.

Which leads to the question: What type of contract would you like to see Doan get if the does sign with the Rangers? How many years is too many years? How much is too much?

Remember that because he's 35, any contract he signs will remain on the cap until the contract has run its course. So even if the Ranger sent him to the AHL, or he retires, the cap hit stays with the team for the duration of the pact.

Personally, I want to see a two-year deal, but the Rangers might have to float him a three-year deal for his services. Anything more than that would be excessive, and, in all honesty, I'm not too sure Glen Sather should go over two years at all. In terms of dollars, a lot of it could depend on the new CBA, but somewhere between $4.5 and $5.5-million seems reasonable.

OK guys, what do you think? The floor is yours?