2012 NHL Rumors: The New York Rangers Are After Shane Doan AND Rick Nash

GLENDALE, AZ - MAY 22: Shane Doan #19 of the Phoenix Coyotes moves the puck in the second period while taking on the Los Angeles Kings in Game Five of the Western Conference Final during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at Jobing.com Arena on May 22, 2012 in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

After some down time in Ranger land, things have picked up, and picked up quite a bit. It started with the news about Shea Weber, then with Shane Doan visiting New York and now the supposed plan by the mastermind himself, Glen Sather. According to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, Sather is planning to target Shane Doan, in addition to a possible trade for Columbus Blue Jackets captain Rick Nash.

This definitely comes as a bit of a surprise, considering trade talks regarding Rick Nash have recently hit an all-time low. Also according to Brooks, there are now only two teams left in the race for Nash, which are the Rangers, and the Detroit Red Wings. So it appears that even though nothing has come out, the wheels are definitely still turning.

As for Doan, the Rangers are now apparently the favorite to land the Phoenix Coyotes captain, in the event he leaves Phoenix. Doan had recently visited the New York Rangers training facilities, and took a tour of New York City on Friday afternoon. Doan had also met with the Philadelphia Flyers yesterday, but it has been noted that their primary focus is landing Weber.

After hearing all of this, it sounds like Glen Sather has his sights set, and set on two highly talented forwards. Whether he gets these deals done remains to be seen, but knowing Sather has a plan in place, it shows he is looking to improve his team.