Breaking News: Nashville Predators Match 14-Year Offer Sheet For Shea Weber

OTTAWA, ON - JANUARY 29: Shea Weber #6 of the Nashville Predators and Team Alfredsson poses prior to the 2012 NHL All-Star Game at Scotiabank Place on January 29, 2012 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Lots of news has been breaking this week in the hockey world, from Rick Nash being dealt to the New York Rangers in a blockbuster deal, to the Nashville Predators matching the 14-year offer sheet for Shea Weber. This definitely comes as a surprise to many people, but it was almost a no-brainer for the Predators to match. The Predators had already lost Ryan Suter to the Minnesota Wild during free agency, and were on the verge of losing their captain via offer sheet.

You have to give the Predators and GM David Poile a ton of credit here. Before all of this mess occured the team said they would match any offer towards Weber, and they stuck to their guns throughout the entire process. Weber will now join the Predators for the next 14 years, which will likely run the duration of his NHL career, baring any further moves down the road.

In the end, this is not only great news for the Predators organization and their fans, it also comes with a huge sigh of relief from the Rangers faithful. With the thought of Weber potentially landing in the Atlantic Division with the Flyers, it would have instantly strengthened their defensive core. Now that Weber will officially be returning to Nashville, along with the Rangers adding an elite goal scorer in Nash, the Rangers have made out like bandits this weekend.