2012 Free Agency: New York Rangers Bring Back Anton Stralman On Two-Year Deal

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 05: Anton Stralman #32 of the New York Rangers celebrates his goal at 17:44 of the first period against the Florida Panthers at Madison Square Garden on January 5, 2012 in New York City. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

The New York Rangers have avoided salary arbitration and come to terms with RFA defenseman, Anton Stralman, on a two-year deal. According to multiple reports, the deal will pay Stralman a total of $1.7 million over the next two seasons, which is considered a bargain at this point. As for the Rangers defense, this is definitely great news, as Stralman really came into his own during the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs. The Rangers now have five of their six defensemen under contract, with Michael Del Zotto's contract likely in the works.

Stralman and the Rangers had filed for salary arbitration some time back, and were scheduled to meet with arbitrator on July 30th. Now that he has agreed to a two-year contract, both sides can move on from that sticky situation that sometimes comes along with arbitration meetings, and focus on the upcoming season.

Stralman, 25, appeared in 53 regular season games last season with the Rangers, where had a total of two goals, and 16 assists for 18 points. However, Stralman really increased his play during the post-season, where he put up three goals, and three assists in 20 playoff games with the Blueshirts