FanPost

Defensive Depth: Trouble... or No Trouble?

Hold your horses everyone. We might not be in such a bind for right defensemen after all! It turns out we've had a pretty decent one stashed away in the AHL that we just couldn't afford to keep on the roster. Yes, Wade Redden could be making his return to Broadway! He was banished not because he couldn't cut it in the NHL anymore, but because his contract was so completely out of proportion to his level of play. He was being paid like a top 5 defenseman in the league, but playing at a 2nd pairing level. The Rangers just couldn't afford to keep his cap hit on the team.

However, with all of the CBA fun that's going on, the salary cap currently sits at a cool $70 million! Barring any changes to the cap or extremely clownish new Rangers contracts, Wade Redden can indeed play for the Rangers on the third pairing and fit under the cap! The man comes around.