FanPost

The Case for Getting Shane Doan

Parise, Suter, Nash, Ryan, Semin, on and on and on. I have made no bones about wanting Nash here for a package of Dubi, MDZ, Thomas, and a #1. I've said it until I've been blue in the face and you all tired of hearing it.

But wait, is getting Shane Doan actually a better overall improvement for the team? Let's take a look. http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/1354 As you can see in his stats, Doan is 36 years of age, has approx 20+ goals per year, approx 50-60 pts per year, and around 200 hits per year, including last year. He also has chipped in approx 5-6 game winning goals per year.

So what's that worth to the Rangers? IMO, 3 years for $4.5M-$5M per. That's what I think it will take to get Doan to the Rangers. 2 yrs won't cut it. There will be too many teams in on Doan to offer a 2 yr contract. Should the Rangers do it? IMO, yes. Here's my projected line-up:

Pre-Gaby injury: Haggy-BR-Doan; Kreider-Stepan-Cally; Dubi-AA-Wellman; Pyatt-Boyle-Rupp/Asham.

Post Gaby injury: Haggy-BR-Gaby; Kreider-Stepan-Doan; Pack Line; 4th line as above. McD-Girardi; Staal-MDZ; Erixon-Stralman.

Projected line-up with Nash: Nash-BR-????/Gaby; Kreider-Stepan-Cally; Haggy-AA-????; Pyatt-Boyle-Rupp/Asham. McD-Girardi; Staal-Stralman; ????-Erixon.

As of right now, the Rangers' cap is at $54.4M. Add MDZ for $2M per, Stralman for $2M per, and Doan for $5M per and we're at $63.4M and if you add in Redden it's $69.9M. Well below the projected cap #s and even better, under the $65M for the regular season that I believe the cap may be at after the new CBA. AND there will be room to pay the eventual RFAs that are coming up the following seasons.

If you compare the 2 projected line-ups, with Doan and with Nash, it's my opinion that we are much more balanced with Doan than with Nash. As with Nash, there are holes to still fill. AND the core is completely intact. By the time Doan's contract is over, which will cover the Cup run years, then the next wave of prospects will be ready.

Thoughts?