New York Rangers News: Dylan McIlrath Has Dislocated Kneecap

NEWARK, NJ - SEPTEMBER 23: Dylan McIlrath #73 of the New York Rangers skates against the New Jersey Devils during a rookie game at the Prudential Center on September 23, 2011 in Newark, New Jersey. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

According to the team's official twitter feed, New York Rangers' first-round pick in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Dylan McIlrath, needs had surgery on a dislocated kneecap he suffered during a collision with recently signed Kyle Jean during development camp.

The injury was originally supposed to be a day-to-day bruise, but obviously things are a little worse than the Rangers though back when it happened.

This is a blow to McIlrath, who was expected to fight for a spot on the team out of camp after an impressive showing in the WHL last season. While McIlrath wasn't expect to make the team out of camp by any means -- Tim Erixon seems like the down-home favorite of this year's prospect pool to start the year on Broadway -- McIlrath was a player everyone was hoping to evaluate.

There is no timetable on his rehab or return to the ice, although obviously the team is hoping it's sooner rather than later.

Thoughts guys?