FanPost

Taking Gaborik For Granted

This has been something that has kind of unnerved me a bit throughout the season, and throughout the playoffs. Then when the news broke that he was injured through the entire playoffs came out it really upset me. Now that the Gaborik hate has died down a bit, I think that everyone doesn't appreciate Marian Gaborik as much as they should. This includes myself.

105 goals in 220 games over the last three seasons for the Rangers. Two 40 goal seasons in three years. Serious question though, why did the Rangers sign this guy? To score goals and ultimately win the Cup with him. I'd say he's performed as advertised in the goal scoring department. His 2010-11 season was just a flat out disaster with injuries, personal problems, and I think he's past all that. When the Rangers signed him in 2009 it was a huge gamble as he couldn't stay healthy whatsoever. Well for the first time in his ENTIRE career the man managed to play every single game and play through injury. All the while being the team's second leading scorer in the playoffs.

Some people will "Yeah but he got injured again, and is still injury prone". Nobody would dare slap the injury prone label on Ryan Callahan though the team's captain has never played all 82 games in a season. I'm not bashing Callahan but I'm just saying Gaborik and Callahan aren't treated the same.

Gaborik's an elite player and I seriously think some Rangers fans don't recognize that. He won't be out there blocking shots in the third period, but he'll quietly be leading the team's offense. With Rick Nash on board now I think Gaborik takes a bit of a back seat which I think will help his game. I view Gaborik the same now as Marian Hossa out in Chicago playing behind the likes of Kane and Toews. Now Gaborik gets to play behind Rick Nash and Brad Richards and even to a certain extent team favorite Ryan Callahan.

Ok my ranting is over.