2012 Rangers Prospects: Traverse City Tournament Cancelled Due To CBA Uncertainty

TRAVERSE CITY MI - SEPTEMBER 11: A wide view of Centre Ice arena as the Detroit Redwings prospects face off against the Dallas Stars prospects during NHL Prospects Tournament on September 11 2010 at Centre Ice Arena in Traverse City Michigan. (Photo by Dave Reginek/Getty Images)

According to Chris Botta via Twitter, the Detroit Red Wing have announced the cancellation of this year's Traverse City prospect tournament, due to CBA uncertainties. The tournament was scheduled to begin on September 14th, 2012, which was set to feature the Red Wings, Buffalo Sabres, New York Rangers, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Carolina Hurricanes, and the St. Louis Blues.

The cancellation of the Traverse City Tournament marks the second event that has been cancelled due to the CBA uncertainty, as the European Premiere games were cancelled back in March, before the 2011-2012 even concluded. As Botta notes, the amount of work that was lost due to the cancellation, as well as prospect development taking a huge blow is our first taste of a possible lockout.

However, the Red Wings did announce that they are fully committed to getting the tournament back up and running next season, which is a good sign. With just about a month left until the current CBA expires, let's hope they don't start cancelling actual NHL games.