2012 Top 25 Under 25: Number 22 - Peter Ceresnak

CALGARY, CANADA - JANUARY 4: Jiri Sekac #26 of Team Czech Republic body checks Peter Ceresnak #14 of Team Slovakia during the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship Fifth Place game at the Scotiabank Saddledome on January 4, 2012 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Team Czech Republic defeated Team Slovakia 5-2. (Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

When the New York Rangers drafted Peter Ceresnak in the sixth-round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, they weren't expecting him to turn into next Nik Lidstrom on the blue line. He was your typical sixth-round pick, who would become a lengthy project over the years, and could eventually develop into a solid player. Just like Danny Hobbs, Ceresnak isn't one of the Rangers high-end prospects, but still has enough upside to make it into the top 25.

Something about his game likely caught the eyes of the Rangers' brass, and that would be his big frame. Ceresnak is your typical two-way defenseman who will throw around the body if given the chance to, and will also try to contribute in the offensive zone as well. He won't be the type of player that will "wow" you every time he steps on the ice, but he will do all of the little things right.

Follow after the jump for more.

Like I started earlier, Ceresnak is a project type of player, and it will take some time to fully develop. Here is what Hockey's Future had to say about him.

Ceresnak is a two-way defenseman with good size, who relishes contact and likes to pinch into the offensive zone. He is quite raw and does not speak English, so much of his future in North America will depend on his adjustment. He is at least two to three years from being NHL-ready.

Ceresnak played out his 2011-2012 campaign with the Peterbough Petes of the Ontario Hockey League, alongside fellow Rangers prospect, Andrew Yogan. He appeared in 61 total games with the Petes, compiling a total of six goals, and nine assists during the regular season. Following his season with the Petes, the Connecticut Whale signed the young Ceresnak to an Amateur Tryout contract, where he joined them for the rest of the regular season.

However, he did not appear in a single game for the Whale, and was later released from his tryout agreement right before the Calder Cup playoffs had begun. This doesn't necessarily mean that the Rangers aren't interested, or don't expect anything from Ceresnak, he just wasn't granted playing time. Although, it did get him exposed to the professional level type of atmosphere, and that could only help later on down the road. But for now, there is still some time before we begin to hear about him with the Whale, or the Rangers.

What do you guys think?