Bantering Points: Is There Such Thing As Too Many Centers?

SAN JOSE, CA - APRIL 16: Patrik Berglund #21 and Jason Arnott #44 and Andy McDonald #10 of the St Louis Blues celebrates after Arnott scored a goal against the San Jose Sharks in the second period in Game Three of the Western Conference Quarterfinals during the 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs at HP Pavilion on April 16, 2012 in San Jose, California. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

- This worked out really well the first time, so I figured we could give it another go today. This one will focus more on some of the moves the New York Rangers and Glen Sather might be thinking about moving forward.

- Want to know what's going to surprise you? Rick Nash being mentioned in the second bullet point. Well, maybe it won't. But this actually isn't about Nash himself. The Rangers lost some depth when they traded for Nash, and that kind of leads me to believe that the brass expects a prospect to make the team out of camp (or at least be close enough that he might be a midseason call-up). As of right now, the two favorites seem to be J.T. Miller and Christian Thomas. Don't be surprised if Miller makes a big splash during camp, he was one of the most well rounded players in his draft class.

- Speaking of prospects, I know Ryan Bourque blew away expectations during Traverse City last year, but I just don't see him making the big club. He had a rough year in Hartford, and while his game is a lot like Ryan Callahan's, so is J.T. Miller's and he had a better year.

Join me after the jump for more.

- I have a feeling the Rangers are going to go after another center. You can't have too much depth at center. I just have this sense that Jason Arnott is one of the team's targets. He's a veteran center who can add some serious experience and can help add some offense to the bottom six (he did have 17 goals last year).

- The again, as I've said before, if Shane Doan is willing to take a big discount to come to New York (accept a two-year deal for less than $6-million per) then it's not a choice, you take him. Doan is the best free agent left by a mile. It's not even close. So if I'm the Rangers, I see where Doan is -- by the way, all signs point towards him not coming to New York -- and then make a move for some depth pretty quick.

- A little more on Arnott. The guy has played in 122 playoff games. He's score 17 goals or more the past 13 years. He's not coming to score 25 goals anyway, he would be signed for some third and fourth line depth. If he scores 15 goals or more, then so be it. But that's not why he would be brought in. Oh, by the way, he's scored 73 points in those 122 playoff games.

- Do you guys even think the Rangers need more experience? The youth that needed the experience last year in the playoffs got it. Granted, they got it after they needed it, but it was still a deep run that will only benefit guys like Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider (yes, even though he hasn't played a regular season game the playoff experience will be invaluable next year), Carl Hagelin, Michael Del Zotto, Ryan McDonagh and the rest of the youth on the team. Then again, you can always use experience on your roster, and there are a few players out there who can provide it for cheap.

- Back to the centers, I think it's obvious that the Rangers grabbed Jeff Halpern for his ability to win face offs, which is good, since it was a need. But I still think Brad Richards takes all the big face offs the team has. Then again, depth is always a good thing, and if Halpern is your second face off guy, then you're doing something right.

Thoughts?