New York Rangers News: Eight Players Placed On Waivers

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 19: Derek Stepan #21 and Carl Hagelin #62 of the New York Rangers celebrate Hagelin's goal against Marc-Andre Fleury #29 of the Pittsburgh Penguins during their game on January 19, 2012 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, New York. (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)

With the lockout practically in process already, various teams around the National Hockey League have begun their roster preparations. The NHL and NHLPA have agreed on a pre-lockout waiver rule, which will allow veteran AHL players to play for their parent club's farm team. The rule states that players currently on two-way deals will have to pass through waivers before September 15th, in order to be eligible for the upcoming AHL season. Whenever the season starts, the parent club will have up to three days prior to the start of the season, to call up a player without having them pass through re-entry waivers.

For the Rangers, they have waived Sean Collins, Tommy Grant, Michael Haley, Chad Kolarik, Kris Newbury, Logan Pyett, Brandon Segal, and Mike Vernace. In addition, Chris Kreider will likely be joining the Whale down the AHL as well, in the event of the impeding lockout. Kreider does not have to pass through waivers as he is on his entry-level deal, and has not played out the required amount of games in the NHL to be eligible for waivers.

There was also some speculation that players like Carl Hagelin, Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh may join the Whale as well, but that will not be taking place. All three are required to pass through waivers due to the amount of games they have played in the NHL, as well as their age.

For a complete list of players placed on waivers today, follow after the jump.

Player Team

  • Benoit, Andre OTT
  • Cannone, Patrick OTT
  • Eckford, Tyler OTT