New York Rangers News: Matt Gilroy Signs NHL Deal And Del Zotto Updates

Nick Laham

The New York Rangers announced two signings today by locking up Michael Del Zotto on a two-year deal, and also signing Matt Gilroy to an NHL contract.

The New York Rangers announced a pair of signings this afternoon as they have agreed to terms with Michael Del Zotto, and Matt Gilroy. Both of these signings were expected to happen sooner, rather than later with training camp officially opening it's doors earlier this morning. As of last night, when the CBA was officially signed off on, it didn't appear that Del Zotto and the Rangers were close on the dollar amount and years. But with little leverage, and a lack of time,Del Zotto agreed to a two-year deal that will pay him a total of $5.1 million, which breaks down to $2.55 annually.

Glen Sather always plays hard ball with his impending RFA's, and it has worked once again with Del Zotto. The Rangers definitely got the better end of the deal here as they locked up Del Zotto for just the right price, and he'll stick around for two more years at that. Good stuff.

Now we move on to Matt Gilroy, who was expected to receive an NHL deal before camps opened up. Gilroy signed an AHL contract with the Connecticut Whale during the lockout, and his play down there was good enough for Rangers brass to reward him with an NHL contract. Gilroy agreed to a one-year deal that will pay him $650,000 throughout the 2013 season. A lot of fans may not like the signing, but it's a low risk, low pay signing that only adds more to an already deep defensive core.

Just a quick little note from training camp. Brad Richards is not on the ice this morning as he is recovering from the flu. All other Rangers are accounting for and are taking part in drills.