FanPost

What about the Cup?

Hey guys long time no see.

Anyway to talk about something other than labor negotiations, i thought I'd bring up an interesting topic.

Two years ago i printed out a Wiki page on the Stanley Cup winners year by year for reference. But i noticed an asterisk by the 2005 locked out year. It said that if the NHL were to ever go into a full lockout again, that the rights to the cup would be relinquished to the IIHF. So the Cup will never go without a winner again.

Now there are going to be a lot of North Americans upset about that. And to be honest, i am one of them. Now im all for everyone getting a fair chance at getting the Cup. But im ultra conservative about hockey. I don't like the way the Europeans play. And i don't like the IIHF makes our boys play. With their BIG ice and fancy count up clocks. And whats this no fighting BS? No-touch icing? Ugh.

Now i'll admit they play a more skilled version of OUR game. But it seems to me that if you want to play for the STANLEY CUP, the same cup lifted by Bobby Orr, Scott Stevens and Mark Messier, some blood has to be spilled for you to EARN that RIGHT to play for it. Now im not one of these bigots who thinks Europeans play with no heart (Semin, Radulov), but it's clear as day that the NHLers play a must more intense game than overseas. I would be very discouraged to see a KHL team win the cup. And good for them if they do, they would earn it by beating everyone else. But i just don't think they play the same type of game Lord Stanley imagined.

But i'm getting ahead of myself. This is all hypothetical and most probably not happening. But if it did, I want to know, how would you guys feel about it.

Happy New Year's and lets get this lockout over with!