Rangers Vs. Flyers: Failed Power Play Attempts Come Back To Cost Rangers

Elsa

After winning eight straight against the Philadelphia Flyers over the last season and a half, the Rangers drop a tough one to the Flyers by a score of 2-1.

The New York Rangers dropped their third game of the season to the Philadelphia Flyers by a score of 2-1. The Rangers power play easily cost them this game, as they had a huge two-man advantage in the third period, that they were unable to convert on. This has always been a growing concern over the last few seasons for the Rangers, and it continues to cost them points in the standings.

The Rangers didn't start out with the same life they did against the Boston Bruins last night, but they also didn't start out terrible. They didn't get very much offensive zone throughout the first period, but they were able to shut down the Flyers in the defensive end. The first period came to an end scoreless, and the Rangers were being heavily out shot that period 11-5.

The second started out much of the same for the Rangers but the Flyers were able to convert on two of their chances in the offensive zone. Wayne Simmonds came away with the first goal from the Flyers as a point shot from Nicklas Grossmann deflected off of his skate and into the net.

Kris Newbury tried to spark his team after the first goal, and dropped the gloves with Tye McGinn. Although, prior to the fight, Newbury received an extra two minutes for face washing McGinn, which is apparently a new rule being enforced this year. Just a minute later, Jakub Voracek slammed home a rebound in front of Henrik Lundqvist on the power play, and just like that they Flyers jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the second period. The second period was as painful as it gets, as the Rangers weren't able to generate anything worth while.

The Rangers finally received their first power play of the night as Brayden Coburn was whistled down for high sticking. Just over a minute into the power play, Taylor Pyatt slammed home his third goal of the season off of a nice pass from Marian Gaborik. Pyatt has been absolutely sensational for the Rangers thus far, and currently has three goals in his first four games with the Blueshirts. Pyatt was eventually rewarding after the goal and spent the rest of the game alongside Brad Richards and Rick Nash.

About halfway through the second period, the Rangers had a huge two-man advantage for a full two minutes and had the tying goal on their stick. Unfortunately,as it has been in the past, the Rangers power play was unable to get anything going and only generated two shots on the power play. Rick Nash had the only real scoring chance on the power play as he was robbed on the door step by Ilya Bryzgalov.

Henrik Lundqvist played solid tonight but as it's been in the past few games, the defense didn't really give him much help in front of the net tonight. The Rangers have now dropped to 1-3-0 on the season with the Maple Leafs on the docket next up at Madison Square Garden. It's still too early to panic just yet, but something has to change quickly if they want to turn this ship around.