FanPost

The Rangers' Misguided "Girl's Guide To Watching Hockey"

The beginning of the Rangers' season has not gone as planned. Returning from the long lockout that threatened to cancel the season, the team has gone 1-3-0 in its first four games and hasn't looked particularly good in the process. But the bad hockey figures to sort itself out sooner than later, and it's not time to panic yet.

On Friday afternoon, however, the Rangers decided to feature an awful column on Blueshirts United, the team's fan website: "A Girl's Guide to Watching the Rangers." I'd provide a direct link to the column, but it — and the Rangers' tweet promoting it — were deleted about an hour after the tweet appeared. Luckily, screenshots are a thing, and the column is preserved in its entirety — all five pages from the slideshow format — below.

In short, the author suggests that girls couldn't possibly know anything about hockey and attempts to provide directions on how a woman should watch a hockey game with a man. The Rangers have plenty of female fans, several of whom commented on the story in disgust, as you'll see below.

Let's have a look at a few of the worst parts of the piece:

"News of the lockout's end caused as much excitement in the male world as a 70 percent off sale does in a woman's."

That gem is from the first of the five brief pages, and it sets the tone for the rest of the article: Sports are for boys, shopping is for girls. It's 2013, folks.

"You need to sense the tensions at certain points in the game and let them do their jumping, screaming and cheering thing."

Just let the boys do their thing. They couldn't possibly bother with answering a woman's questions — assuming she even has any — about a hockey game. There are plenty of female fans out there who know a whole lot more about the game of hockey than most male fans do, but hey, ladies, don't pick the wrong moment to ask your man a question!

"The Rangers' roster is easily available online..."

Not only do girls not know anything about hockey, they apparently don't know how to use Google, either.

It's hard to imagine why the Rangers thought it would be a good idea to feature the post on a website run by the team. It wasn't well received, and Yahoo!'s Puck Daddy has a lot of the outrage covered.

Here, then, are the links to each page of the piece. The first page includes all of the comments left on it before the Rangers decided to pull it from the website.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4