Q And A With Pension Plan Puppets

Bruce Bennett

SB Nation's Toronto Maple Leafs blog was nice enough to answer a few questions for us. Enjoy:

So we like to flex our muscles here at SB Nation sometimes, and today is one of those days. The New York Rangers will take on the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight, so we figured why not join forces and do a little Q and A?

Below are my questions and PPP's answers to them.

Enjoy!

Blueshirt banter: So that Kadri kid, he's actually kind of good isn't he?

PPP: Yeah, the kid's pretty skilled. He's being deployed pretty favourably (lots of PP time, lots of offensive zone starts, lots of easy EV minutes) which is basically what we've been howling to see for a while. The panic over him was always unfortunate because the reality is that his development's been on pace for his peers (www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/1/18/3889330/maple-leafs-nazem-kadri-struggles-AHL-NHL-development).

Blueshirt Banter: The Leafs are off to a 2-2 start, and have beaten a pretty good Pittsburgh Penguins team. Do you think the Leafs can make the playoffs this year?

PPP: Sure, they can make it. Will they? It's a long shot. A short season means there's more of an opportunity for chance to have an effect on the outcome of the season (www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/1/20/3893008/how-much-will-chance-affect-this-season-and-a-little-fun-with-bayes). There are a lot fewer games for any abnormal percentages to play themselves back to normal.

Blueshirt Banter: Honest Question: Acquiring Luongo - would it help or hurt?

PPP: It's a tough one. It would obviously help the goaltending because Luongo is elite. However, it would hurt the team long term because they'd have to trade young assets to get him AND lose the chance to further evaluate Reimer and Scrivens AND the chance at more high end talent by ensuring that the Leafs finish outside of the top 5 and possibly top 10 picks.

Blueshirt Banter: (Bonus question) Do you think the Rangers could trade a 5th round pick to San Jose for Scott Gomez, then flip Gomez to Montreal for P.K. Subban? (Thank's Jim!)

PPP: Ha! That's a weird situation without a doubt. I can't figure it out at all.

Hope you guys enjoyed, make sure to visit Pension Plan Puppets to see my answers to their questions at some point today!