Jason Arnott And Benn Ferriero Gives New York Rangers Needed Depth

Jim McIsaac

The Jason Arnott signing gives the Rangers the depth they need on the bottom six.

Right before the New York Rangers took down the Toronto Maple Leafs in a much-needed 5-2 victory at Madison Square Garden Saturday, the team took care of something else they needed: Some bottom six depth.

According to reports, the Rangers came to terms with Jason Arnott pending a physical. Arnott -- who turned 38 in October -- scored 17 goals last year for the St. Louis Blues.

But it's not about the offense when it comes to Arnott, it's about the little things. Arnott bring another veteran voice in the room, he can eat bottom six minutes (he averaged over 14 minutes a night last year), play on the power play and be solid in his own end as well.

Same thing goes for Benn Ferriero, who had a great debute against the Maple Leafs. And regardless of where Ferriero lands (he might end up on the fourth line, while Arnott is expected to play on the third line) he's still providing some serious depth for the Rangers.

Now, once Chris Kreider returns, the Rangers bottom six looks like this:

Kreider - Arnott -Taylor Pyatt - Brian Boyle

Ferriero - Jeff Halpern - Mike Rupp - Arron Asham

Notice something? There are eight players on that list. Six without relying on Rupp or Asham to play third line minutes. Even if it takes Kreider a little more time to get over his ankle injury there are players who can step in and fill his shoes without being asked to take on more than they can handle.

I've said from the beginning: In a shortened season like this there's no way to have too much depth. Arnott and Ferrirero bring that needed depth to the table.

Just in time, too.