FanPost

This ended a lot

"COMPLIANCE BUYOUTS
Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other. The new detail here that I found interesting is that any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing.

Obvious reason here: The league doesn’t want teams to cheat the system and get a player back under a cheaper salary (since the buyout doesn’t count against the salary cap)."

A lot of the people who are hockey fans who I talked too all got their hopes and dreams smashed. I'll admit, even mine were a little too. We all know the Rangers (as well as many other teams) will have some serious cap issues to contend with. People i've talked too all were saying buy-out Redden then someone like Nash and re-sign him for a more cap friendly hit. Well, you see how that all went.

The NHL's GMs aren't trying to screw themselves again. I'm sure the agents will find some other way to get around the cap without having any penalties but they cut this one off before it could happen. Looks like we're all back speculating on what happens with our team at the end of this unnecessarily short season.