New York Rangers News: Arron Asham And Martin Biron Placed On Waivers

Thearon W. Henderson

The New York Rangers have placed Arron Asham and Martin Biron on waivers this afternoon.

According to Ryan Rishaug of TSN, the New York Rangers have placed forward Arron Asham, and backup goaltender Martin Biron on waivers earlier this morning. Asham's waiver placement wasn't all that surprising, as his days were likely numbered, but Biron's comes as a bit of a shock. He had a really, really rough second period on Saturday night against the St. Louis Blues, but he's been a steady backup for the last several years behind Henrik Lundqvist.

However, it didn't appear that Alain Vigneault was too fond of Marty since taking over as the new head coach of the Rangers. As soon as training camp started, he brought in Johan Hedberg on a tryout, and also acknowledged that Cam Talbot had a shot at claiming the backup role. Well, here were are a few weeks later with Biron on waivers, and a back up position up for grabs once again.

Glen Sather could be dangling both Asham and Biron to see if there are any takers, or they could have played their last game in Ranger blue. If that is indeed the case, Cam Talbot will likely be recalled here pretty soon, along with another forward from Hartford. Even with Asham likely going down to the AHL, the Rangers are still without Rick Nash, and will only be carrying 11 forwards.

The next few days are going to be really interesting for the Rangers, and we'll continue to update as we hear more.