Callahan Out; Stepan Happy With Progress

Al Bello

Today's New York Rangers notes.

It's been a very up-and-down start to the season for the New York Rangers. It began with a bad loss, followed by a nice win. When Rick Nash began to elevate his play, he was sidelined with a concussion. And just when it seemed like the Rangers had found some momentum after a solid win in Washington, we learned yesterday the team would be without Ryan Callahan for 3-4 with the captain nursing a broken thumb. Looking at the glass half-full, there are more "ups" to come. And here are your morning notes.

The Rangers announced on Thursday that Callahan broke his thumb during Wednesday's win against the Capitals. Darroll Powe has been recalled with the Rangers needing someone to fill in on the penalty kill. [Blueshirt Banter]

A few thoughts on this situation:

- At first, I was curious why Chris Kreider didn't get the call. Bringing in Powe gives the Rangers a replacement on the PK and a more defensively responsible forward.

- The team is now without half of its top-six forwards, with Nash still out, and Carl Hagelin still ineligible to return on long term injured reserve. J.T. Miller should, in theory, see an increase in his role. The Rangers are going to need to scoring help.

After taking a hit to the head from Troy Brouwer during Wednesday night's game (which the league deemed "incidental contact" and not worthy of discipline) Derek Stepan is OK. [New York Post]

Staying true to the "up-and-down" theme, Hagelin was cleared for contact yesterday, as the forward continues to progress in his rehab. [ESPN NY]

Stepan, who got a late start to his preseason due to prolonged contract negotiations, is happy with the way his game is progressing. [Rangers Rants]

Henrik Lundqvist continued his dominance against the Captials, turning in his third straight shutout against Washington. And now it's internet official: Lundqvist owns the Capitals. [Eye On Hockey]

An exclusive sit-down with Rangers prospect Calle Anderson. [Blueshirt Banter]