Nash Practices, Lundqvist's Contract, and Power Rankings

USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Happy hump-day, and a very happy "hockey is back" to all. The NHL regular season officially started last night with three exciting games, and the Rangers were back on the ice for another day of practice. Here's the big stories from around the team.

Rick Nash returned to practice Tuesday after sitting out Sunday's practice with a sore foot. The Rangers top forward looks to be on track for Thursday's opener against the Coyotes. [ESPN NY]

Back at practice again was Ryan Callahan, but this time sporting a yellow non-contact jersey. [Rangers Rants] With Nash returning (Callahan skated in Nash's spot Sunday), I wouldn't read too much into Callahan donning the yellow, as he's been cleared for contact, and could be in the lineup as early as the Rangers second game of the season against the Kings.

Henrik Lundqvist has made it clear that once the season begins, he has no interest in negotiating a contract extension. Well, the days to negotiate are dwindling, and Lundqvist said after practice on Tuesday there was nothing new to report on his contract talks. [Rangers Rants]

John Tortorella won a Stanley Cup in Tampa Bay, and burst onto the scene as one of the best coaches in the NHL, much to the thanks of the play Conn Smythe winner, Brad Richards. That relationship certainly changed when the two reunited in New York, and Tortorella opened up about his just how bad things got with Richards, and the coach's exit from the Big Apple. [ESPN NY]

ESPN released its first power rankings of the season, ranking the Rangers 8th, two spots behind the Penguins, and the fourth-highest team in the Eastern Conference. [ESPN]

A bunch of really good season previews have been published recently. Earlier in the week, we gave you SB Nation's comprehensive breakdown. On Tuesday, Grantland released its preview, which is worth a look. [Grantland]

A little Andrew Gross-heavy today, but a great column from The Record on why the Rangers' shift in offense means the pressure is on for Rick Nash. [NorthJersey.com]