Martin Birton Retires; Kreider and Talbot Recalled

USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes.

Good morning, folks. The Rangers played once over the weekend, a disappointing 4-0 loss in New Jersey. But there was much bigger news out of this weekend, which we'll get to momentarily. The Rangers don't play again until this Thursday, when they'll travel to Philadelphia to play the Flyers. In the meantime, here are your morning notes.

The biggest team-related item from this weekend was the retirement of Martin Biron. The 36-year-old has played in the NHL since 1998. He's been a member of the Rangers since 2010, and by all accounts, is one of the more genuine, stand-up guys around the game. A few stories on the announcement. [Blueshirt Banter] [New York Post] [Daily News]

As was expected, Cam Talbot was recalled again from Hartford. With Henrik Lundqvist getting the start on Saturday, Talbot was returned to the Wolfpack to get more playing time. (Which led to two wins over the weekend, including a 39-save performance Saturday night.) But Talbot is now back with the Rangers, where he'll resume his backup duties. [Rangers Rants]

The news came a little later on Sunday, but in addition to recalling Talbot, the Rangers also brought up Chris Kreider and Brandon Mashinter. The moves also included sending down Darroll Powe. [Blueshirt Banter] With the Rangers without half of their top six forwards in Ryan Callahan, Rick Nash, and Carl Hagelin, many have been calling for Kreider to finally get a shot at NHL action. In short, many will expect Kreider to be a contributor on offense immediately. But to a more rational point: be patient. Excluding his postseason exploits, Kreider has 23 career games played in the NHL. His game will come.

2012 Vezina winner Lundqvist has admitted to playing less-than-stellar hockey this season, and said some some of the blame should be placed on him. [ESPN NY]

You shouldn't be panicking (yet) but there are some reasons to be concerned about the Rangers. [Blueshirt Banter]

On a different note, the Rangers' season is already on thin ice, writes Larry Brooks. [New York Post]