Rangers Fall To Flyers; Tortorella Sounds Off On Vigneault; MSG Renovations Completed

Drew Hallowell

Today's New York Rangers notes.

It's tough to come out of any loss, especially in the middle of an early season slide, especially against a divisional rival, and really have any good feelings. All I have to say is that the Rangers are currently without their most importantly player (Henrik Lundqvist) and arguably their top three forwards (Rick Nash, Ryan Callahan and Carl Hagelin.) That's about all the opining I can do. Here are your morning notes.

The Rangers dropped Thursday night's game in Philadelphia 2-1. One of the biggest question marks coming into the game was the ability of Cam Talbot to step up. If his performance against the Flyers is any indicator, the Rangers certainly have a serviceable backup. Some recaps of last night's loss. [Daily News] [Blueshirts United] [Blueshirt Banter]

Again, tough to take away any positives, but of note: Where would the Rangers be at this point the season without Brad Richards? The 33-year-old forward, who many thought was a candidate to be amnestied this past offseason, netted his fifth goal of the season, and the Rangers lone tally Thursday night. [NHL]

The game certainly had a bit of an "old-time" feel to it. Derek Dorsett and Zac Rinadlo dropped the gloves, and Bandon Mashinter and Wayne Simmonds also got into it. [Hockey Fights]

Lundqvist provided that he suffered his "minor injury" in the second game of the season against the Kings, but wouldn't elaborate any further. [Daily News]

In one his first true, Tortorella-ian moments since leaving New York, the former Rangers coach blamed former bench boss Alain Vigneault for Vancouver's reputation as a 'diving team.' [New York Post]

Brad Richards said Chris Kreider was pressing in training camp, and needs to relax in his return to the NHL. [Daily News] Kreider got on the score sheet an assist last night, and was one of the more noticeable players against Philadelphia.

The renovations to Madison Square Garden, which took three years to complete, are finally finished. A time lapse of the construction project, and a look at how the renovated building will look. [ESPN NY]