Rangers Drops Home Opener; Hagelin Back In The Mix; No News On Nash

USA TODAY Sports

Today's New York Rangers notes

Suffice to say, the Rangers home opener did not go as most hoped it would. After opening up the season on a nine-game road trip, the Rangers finally made their first appearance on Broadway against Montreal Monday night. But even with Henrik Lundqvist back in goal, the Rangers couldn't find enough offense, and fell to the visiting Canadiens 2-0. And as much as I hate to sound like a broken record, it's difficult to score goals when you're missing arguably your three best forwards. With that all being said, here are your morning notes.

The Rangers weren't without their scoring chances, but in what's been a troubling theme of late, the team did not find the back of the net. Some recaps of last night's loss. [New York Post] [Blueshirts United] [Daily News] [The Record]

Goal scoring, or lack thereof, is obviously a topic of discussion right now. Even while a controversial, late Montreal goal was upheld, it in no way makes up for the Rangers inability to score. [ESPN NY] There are two major items at play here: one, the Rangers are missing Rick Nash, Ryan Callahan, and Carl Hagelin. To not mention that simple fact is negligible. But of course, on the other hand, the team obviously has to do better with what it has, plain and simple.

On the injury front, (some) help is on the way. Following Monday night's game, the Rangers assigned Jesper Fast to Hartford to make room for Hagelin, who is eligible to return from long-term injured reserve. [Blueshirts United] Expect Hagelin to be in the lineup Tuesday night when the Rangers travel to play the Islanders.

Sticking with the theme of injured players, the Rangers' silence on Nash is deafening. [Blueshirts Blog]

The renovated Garden may have looked better, but the on-ice product is still lacking the flare. [New York Post]

Through 10 games, we know one thing: Alain Vigneault is John Tortorella's opposite behind the bench. [New York Post]