Rangers Vs. Islanders Preview: Focus Shifts To Long Island

Bruce Bennett

The New York Rangers will head onto Long Island tonight as they take on the New York Islanders in their second game of the back-to-back.

After a disappointing loss in their home opener last night, the New York Rangers will be right back at it with a meeting against the New York Islanders. The Islanders had a strong start to the 2013-2014 regular season, but have hit a rut as of late. They recently acquired Thomas Vanek from the Buffalo Sabres, in order to shake things up, and he will be suiting up in his first game tonight.

As for the Rangers, Carl Hagelin will be making his season debut tonight as well. Hagelin was forced to miss the first ten games of the regular season, due to off-season shoulder surgery. With the Rangers desperate for offense at the moment, any extra help can't hurt. Due to Hagelin returning tonight, Jesper Fast has been returned to the Hartford Wolfpack, and will get some extra playing time.

Cam Talbot was the first goalie off at the morning skate, which indicates that he will be starting in goal tonight. We haven't heard any confirmation from the Islanders side, but it's a safe bet that Evgeni Nabokov will be starting at the other end.

VS. Nyi

New York Rangers (3-7-0) vs New York Islanders (4-4-3)
Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum - Uniondale, NY - 7:00 PM
Television: MSG, MSG+ | Radio: ESPN NY 98.7 |
Opponent's Blog: Lighthouse Hockey

Projected Lineup:

Chris Kreider - Derek Stepan - Brad Richards
Benoit Pouliot - Derick Brassard - J.T. Miller
Mats Zuccarello - Dominic Moore - Carl Hagelin
Taylor Pyatt - Brian Boyle - Derek Dorsett

Ryan McDonagh - Dan Girardi
Marc Staal - Anton Stralman
John Moore - Michael Del Zotto

Cam Talbot
Henrik Lundqvist

Scratches: Rick Nash (concussion), Ryan Callahan (hand), Justin Falk (healthy), Brandon Mashinter (healthy).

SB Nation Featured Video