Morning Notes: Season-Opener Edition

Christian Petersen

Today's New York Ranger's notes.

The time is finally upon us! The New York Rangers kick their season off tonight in Phoenix against the Coyotes. With any lucky, we'll get moments as memorable as this one. (Hint: if Brad Richards scores a goal, it will probably be a successful night.) Anyhow, here's what happened yesterday as we prepare for the 2013-2014 season.

No surprise here, but Ryan Callahan will not suit up for the opener. The captain, who underwent off season shoulder surgery, could return as soon as Tuesday when the Rangers take on the Kings. [ESPN NY]

New head coach Alain Vigneault 'is nervous' heading into his first game behind the bench for the Rangers. (Aren't we all?) [Rangers Rants]

Much has been made of the role Rick Nash will take on this year in a system focused more on offense. But before entering his second (and first full) season on Broadway, Nash said he has more in him. [New York Post]

A position-by-position breakdown of the team, with special appearances by the power play and a new coaching style. [The Record]

Carl Hagelin will miss the first 10 games of the season after being placed on long term injury reserve, but Hagelin's surgically repaired shoulder seems to be progressing, and he said when his name is called, being in game shape won't be an issue. [Blueshirts Blog]

Still no news on the Henrik Lundqvist contract negotiations, which will likely subside for the most part once the puck drops tonight. [Blueshirt Banter]

For a primer on tonight's opponent: Three big questions facing the Coyotes this season. [Five For Howling]